Sunday, August 16, 2015

Green tomato goodness

Writer's note: Hello, you lovely, sexy readers. I'm excited about this post, not only because it's delicious, but because I went to visit my parents and made this for them. My mom was kind enough to take photos for me, and did an amazing job. I added more photos to my bread post last week as well, and was sorely remiss in not thanking my husband for taking those pics, as well as saving my phone from a doughy fate.

Green tomatoes are like farmer's  market Easter eggs, but not at one of those children's easter egg hunts. Like...Easter eggs hidden by the guy from "Saw", minus the death and creepiness? Ok, I guess my point is that green tomatoes are a fun summer treat, but can be hard to find.

I recently found some green tomatoes and grabbed them. I paid, of course. I'm not that big of a jerk, although the little old lady behind me who was eyeballing them was pretty disappointed. I slunk away like a villain in a melodrama and gloated  over my haul, trying to figure out what to do with them.
The obvious answer, of course, would be to fry them. I live in Texas, where the answer to many of life's quandries is "fry it," but I decided to start eating healthier a few months ago. I talked to my mom about it, and she said that there are recipes for green tomato soup. I decided to release another one into the world.

Green tomato and zucchini soup

It's ok to lick your screen now.

Ingredients:
2 T. Butter, because of course there's butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
(If you're lazy like me, get a ninja food processor and stop just short of liquidity for the above ingredients.)
Chicken bullion cube
5 C. Warm water
3 green tomatoes, chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped
(You don't have to get too carried away with the chopping. It'll get pureed later. Cut it until your heart feels good, then go enjoy a nice glass of wine or whatever it is the kids are into these days.)
Salt and pepper to taste

Not pictured: salt and pepper. I'm so sorry for this error.

Directions:
Combine bullion and water to get the bullion dissolved. Set aside. I promise, it wont take it personally. You could use actual chicken stock, i guess, if you hate sunshine, America, and puppies. I wont judge.
Chicken bullion granules are only slightly less patriotic.
 In a large pot (what, you expect me to know sizes?) Melt butter over medium - ish heat. Throw in onion and garlic when butter is bubbly. You know, as in hot, not happy. It could be happy, but how would I know? Saute until your house smells good. Avoid salivating directly over pot.

Wait for it...
Tada!!!!

Add water and bullion. If the bullion isn't dissolved, don't worry. It probably just failed to do so because of its overwhelming sadness over being neglected so long. Also, it will fully dissolve as it cooks. Add zucchini and tomatoes so it has some friends to cheer it up. Add salt and pepper.
Boil the crap out of it. Maybe 20 minutes, maybe 30, maybe you start watching a Law and Order marathon and lose track of time. The important thing is, don't let it go dry. You'll want that chicken stock for the next step.

Such skill!!

Such precision!!

Pictured: happiness.
 Ladle out solids into food processor. hold down the button and maybe reflect on life. Stop when you feel you need to or until it's pureed. Put the puree back into the pot with the chicken stock (told ya you'd need it.). Simmer to get rid of excess liquid. Put in a bowl. Eat it and love it.

Note: Don't use a submersible blender unless you chop finer. Otherwise you just make the soup mad.




No comments:

Post a Comment